Thursday, January 29, 2009

Getting Down to the Wire...

This is the last email I sent before Tuesday, August 5th, the day I left for Alaska:

Hi, all!

Wow! Tuesday is the day! I can't believe it!

I have some new really good news. On Friday, I was offered a different position in Alaska - full time counselor in a village called Kotlik, instead of teaching and counseling in Hooper Bay. I'd much rather be doing the counseling, so I'm really excited! I'll know no one there when I first arrive - how fun is that? I don't know, though... my shyness might be a problem...

As far as contact goes: I will have email and internet access. I will be given a laptop, but I don't know when that will be, so I don't when I'll have internet access. Right now, I don't have internet at home and I can't check it at work, so reaching me via the internet right now is hit or miss.

Over this coming weekend, cell is 715/416-1063 and land line is 715/259-3235. When I leave for Anchorage on the 5th, I should be available by my cell phone - or at least that's what Alltel has said. If they are accurate, my cell will work in Anchorage until I leave there on the 8th. Once I leave Anchorage, you can't reach me by cell. However, I"m keeping the phone and number, so you can leave me a voice mail - I just don't know when I'll be able to retrieve it. I will be getting a land line at home, but, again, I don't know when that will be. I'll send a message just as soon as I can with updated information regarding how to contact me.

FYI: the weather in Anchorage has been in the mid 60's and in the mid 50's in Kotlik. While I will miss the hot, I think I can handle that! I know, I know... I'm gonna freeze my patootie off during the winter! But I'll be fine, and I will enjoy the summer back here all the more when I get back at the end of May. By the way, I am definitely coming to Wisconsin over Christmas break.

I'll be in touch!

Peace, Love, Joy,

Pam